Tuesday, September 13, 2016

From My Commonplace Book



Some recent additions to my commonplace book~

"All the members of a family [need] to accept, fully, the fact that taking care of themselves by cooking is as much a part of life as taking care of themselves by eating."~ Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language

"Thrift is the really romantic thing; economy is more romantic than extravagance. . . thrift is poetic because it is creative; waste is unpoetic because it is waste. . . if a man could undertake to make use of all the things in his dustbin, he would be a broader genius than Shakespeare."~ G.K. Chesterton

And a not-so-recent entry~

"What I learned then, I believe strongly now: that if mass production is bad in the creation of bread or cheese, it is much worse for the formation of vulnerable human beings.  The work whould be entrusted only to the craftsman who loves his materials and will have his name on the thing he creates."~ David Mills, on homeschooling


My first blog entry from my commonplace book is here, in case you are interested in reading my very brief explanation of how I keep mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching Up

Lake Michigan--gorgeous! It really has been two months since I last made a blog post!  This summer has been full of traveling, gardening...

Popular Posts