Saturday, February 6, 2010

My Commonplace Book


As people have done for centuries, I keep a commonplace book. I got the idea few years ago as a place to record interesting quotations I’ve read and wanted to remember but had nowhere to go with. So I hied myself to the bookstore and bought an elegant blank book and have been filling it ever since. Though not exactly like this one, it looks very similar. From time to time I’ll share some of the gems I have stored there. Here are a few for today:



Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.~~Thomas Edison

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thou has commanded that an ill-regulated mind should be its own punishment.~~St. Augustine

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Perhaps the greatest gift any father can bestow upon his children, apart from the covenant blessings of parish life and a comprehension of the doctrines of grace, is a passion for reading. It is cheap, it consoles, it distracts, it excites, it gives a knowledge of the world, and it offers experience of a wide kind. Indeed, it is nothing less than a moral illumination.~~Thomas Chalmers

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Trouble is often the means whereby God delivers us. God knows that our backsliding will soon end in our destruction, and He in mercy sends the rod. We say, “Lord, why is this?” not knowing that our trouble has been the means of delivering us from far greater evil. Many have thus been saved from ruin by their sorrows and crosses.~~Charles Spurgeon

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Photo from allposters.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching Up

Lake Michigan--gorgeous! It really has been two months since I last made a blog post!  This summer has been full of traveling, gardening...

Popular Posts