Sunday, September 4, 2016

Miscellany

Scenes from the last week~

Preschool with the grandkids this week included decorating paper bag masks.  It was an exercise in nostalgia for me, remembering many occasions on which I did the same thing when I was a child.  The girls were concentrating so hard!  A Bob Ross fan already (lol!), Arane painted hers with a couple "happy little trees."


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*



This was dinner Thursday and, as it turned out, Friday also.  I used a recipe for rigatoni pie I found on Pinterest. (If you're interested, I can hunt it up for you.)  It was very good, but the flavor was not enhanced by the pie aspect and standing the noodles up on end was a little bit painstaking.  I think next time I'll just make it into a casserole.  I forgot to take a picture before we ate it!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*




These are pictures of the teeny powder room, which was included in the painting frenzy of last week.  Sorry for the odd pictures, but it sure is difficult to photograph such a small room!  Though I'm sure some tweaking will go on, I'm really pleased with how it turned out. :)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lastly, a quote which came through my Facebook feed today~

Thrift is the really romantic thing; economy is more romantic than extravagance. . . thrift is poetic because it is creative; waste is unpoetic because it is waste. . . if a man could undertake to make use of all the things in his dustbin, he would be a broader genius than Shakespeare.
 That is from the inimitable and always quotable G.K. Chesterton.  I can attest to the truth of this thought for I have felt it myself in my own life and the life of my family.  And not only is it romantic but it is immensely rewarding.  One of the most satisfying experiences I have had thus far is creating through careful management a comfortable, lovely, peaceful home life in spite of a tight budget.  Anyone can throw money at a project; it takes real ingenuity, intelligence, and creativity to do it with limited resources.  I could not have foreseen this as a young wife and mother, but looking back, I know it is true, and I am thankful to have discovered it. . . or had it revealed to me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching Up

Lake Michigan--gorgeous! It really has been two months since I last made a blog post!  This summer has been full of traveling, gardening...

Popular Posts