Sunday, October 18, 2015

{Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real}~ October 18, 2015

Joining Like Mother, Like Daughter for {phfr} . . .


{Pretty}

Autumn sunlight is different than that of any other season.  Is it the angle of the sun or the clarity of the air or . . . ?  I don't know, but I'm thankful for it.




{Happy}

I'm (slowly) working on a quilt for Hannah, but I took a little time this weekend to make a fabric pumpkin.  I used scraps of fabric and a leftover piece of ribbon from another project.  Even though I'm not an expert seamstress, sewing makes me happy.

I think I should have stuffed it more.  Ah, well, next time . . .

{Real}



Dave pulled everything out of the garden on Saturday.  It was our worst. garden. ever.  It had three strikes against it:

1)  It was the first year in this location and the soil was not great.

2)  It rained and rained at the beginning of the summer and then got very dry.

3)  With Dave's broken wrist, we couldn't get the fence up and the deer and rabbits thought we had planted them their own personal salad bar.


Here's the grand total of our harvest:

Peppers--0
Tomatoes-- 4 (from 12 plants!)
Cucumbers--lots (at least these were successful)
Carrots--1 lb. or so
Green beans--5 freezer bags (so not too bad)
Field pumpkins--0
Butternut squashes--0
Mini gourds and pumpkins--0 (though the volunteers in the compost pile made up for it)
Spinach-- enough for a couple small salads

Dave will work on the soil this winter and hopefully we'll have better luck next year!


{Funny}

Dave's favorite method of washing carrots is to run them through the washing machine!

And here you see the sum total of our carrot harvest.

Of course, he had to vacuum it out with the shop vac afterward . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching Up

Lake Michigan--gorgeous! It really has been two months since I last made a blog post!  This summer has been full of traveling, gardening...

Popular Posts