Wednesday, August 14, 2013

From My Commonplace Book

"The Reading Room" by Carl Larsson

"Books to the ceiling, books to the sky.
 My piles of books are a mile high.
 How I love them!
 How I need them!
 I'll have a long beard by the time I read them."

~Arnold Lobel

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." ~ Noam Chomsky

“For a liberal arts education is not a tool like a hoe or a blueprint or an electric mixer. It is a true and precious stone which can glow just as wholesomely on a kitchen table as when it is put on exhibition in a jeweler’s window or bartered for bread and butter. Learning is a boon, a personal good. It is a light in the mind, a pleasure for the spirit, an object to be enjoyed. It is refreshment, warmth, illumination, a window from which we get a view of the world. To what barbarian plane are we descending when we demand that it serve only the economy?” ~Phyllis McGinley

"The Church gave up beauty and then found that our proclamations of truth and goodness fell on deaf ears." ~John Mason Hodges

"Thrift is the really romantic thing; economy is more romantic than extravagance... thrift is poetic because it is creative; waste is unpoetic because it is waste... if a man could undertake to make use of all the things in his dustbin, he would be a broader genius than Shakespeare." ~G.K. Chesterton

 "But by far the most important channel of transmission of culture remains the family: and when family life fails to play its part, we must expect our culture to deteriorate. But when I speak of family, I have in mind a bond which embraces a longer period of time than this [i.e. the sentimentalized affection of family in the sense of two parents and one or two young children]: a piety towards the dead, however obscure, and a solicitude for the unborn, however remote." ~T.S. Eliot

2 comments:

  1. Love the picture!! I was happy to get a Larsson book while I was at a used book sale my dil took me too. I am half inclined to tear it up to frame prints which sounds horrid I guess but G.K. Chesterton might approve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I approve too, Cindy, FWIW. lol Lucky you to find such a book! Larsson is one of my favorite painters.

    ReplyDelete

Zinnias

Zinnias are such rewarding flowers!  They are easy to grow from seed, they flourish even with abject neglect once germinated, and then t...

Popular Posts