Thursday, February 18, 2016

{Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real}~ February 18, 2016

Look at this!  I'm joining Like Mother, Like Daughter on time for once!

Leila suggested we share our desks for this week's {phfr}, so here's my contribution.  I've already shared my new workspace a couple weeks ago, but here's a quick pic to jog your memory.  



It's just a dining table and two chairs, but it's great for spreading out my books and papers as I prepare for my classes, pay bills, or whatever.  I love the way it looks and it is consistently tidy, but that's because I don't actually keep any of my "desk stuff" on it.  This is where I keep that~


And I'm using the word "keep" in its loosest possible meaning because it is really too strong a word for what happened here.  "Keep" denotes forethought and purpose, neither of which went into the decision (again, loosely interpreted) to stow things on this little table when we were unpacking over a year and a half ago.  The table itself I love.  It was my mother-in-law's and I know nothing about its age or origins, except that it came from her side of the family and is very old and handmade.  It's in the dining room, a mile away from my new desk, but I don't want to clutter up my new pretty space with this stuff.  Of course, this space would be prettier if I cleared things out and tidied up.  I do think about that almost weekly, so you see, I'm not a total slob.

The wood organizer, again using that term loosely, is where my papers go to die.  The white container holds letters to answer, address labels, stamps, and a few odds and ends.  The stack on the left is things I need and ought to find a better home for (except the map of England and Scotland, which I've designated a spot for but haven't hung up yet), and the stack on the right is mainly back issues of Imprimis, which are awaiting my attention.  (Do you get Imprimis?  You should.  Hillsdale College sends it out monthly and it's free.  Or you can read it online here.)  In the drawer is stationery and a few odds and ends.  The drawer doesn't actually work that well, so it's not a good spot for things that get used often.

So, to sum up, I keep my desk clean by having everything in a semi-jumble on this table instead, which is not ideal and feels like cheating.  Maybe soon I can rework this space and make it more appealing and functional.

But don't hold your breath. ;)

Thanks for visiting! :)  

5 comments:

  1. I love all that beautiful light you get in your workspace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I feel like I need 2 desks! One for all the ugly daily paperwork, and one which is pretty and clean for real writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little wooden desk is a very sweet piece of furniture! The things you have on there are a good example of "making your messes tidy" -- which is a good strategy when there are a lot of things that just can't go elsewhere at the moment. It isn't unpleasing, really!
    I enjoy the Imprimis -- I put it in the bathroom! And then it gets read and then TOSSED :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, making my messes tidy. That's exactly right! And it really is the only place that that happens in this house, so that's not too bad, right?

    ReplyDelete

Catching Up

Lake Michigan--gorgeous! It really has been two months since I last made a blog post!  This summer has been full of traveling, gardening...

Popular Posts