Sunday, July 6, 2014

{Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real}~ July 6, 2014

We are still in the process of settling into our new quarters.  This week I tackled the books (which was no small undertaking, let me tell you!).  I really want to show you the house, but it is far from ready.  Moving into a house that still has all the contents of the previous tenants completely intact means that before we can unpack any particular box or arrange any particular room, we first have to go through what's already there. (By way of reminder: we are living in my in-laws' house after the death of my father-in-law and my mother-in-law moving to assisted living.  We moved here to be near her.)

Anyway, on to the pictures!

{Pretty}

About a month ago, I shared some pictures of paintings and a hooked rug hanging in the house that were made by Dave's maternal grandmother.  His maternal grandfather, Luman Kelsey, was likewise an artist~ a painter, sculptor, and potter.  There are so many of his pieces here that I can't show them all, but I'll share a few favorites.

St. Francis is carved from wood and the children
from stone of some sort (?).  Soapstone, perhaps?
The lamp base was also made by Dave's grandfather.

Maybe this girl is throwing a kiss.

These pictures are done with pencil and watercolors.  There are a total of eight depicting scenes of life in the Virgin Islands during World War II.  The family had gone to visit when my mother-in-law was very small and had gotten stuck there for two years because of the outbreak of World War II!  She says she never understood the song, "Yes, We Have No Bananas," because in the Virgin Islands, that was about all they had!
 
I apologize for the poor lighting.  They are in a back hall with no natural light.



"The Gossips"

"Crop Time"
I plan to have these framed in such a way as to better preserve them (I hope!).

{Happy}

The son of some long-time friends is coming to the University of Missouri in the fall, and they were here for freshman orientation last week.  They came for dinner and a general catch-up.  It's such a blessing to see young adults that we knew as small children grown up and taking their places in the world and living for Christ.  The daughter has just graduated from college and has an excellent job in her field.  My prayer for them and my own children is that they may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom they shine as lights in the world. (Phil. 2:15, adapted from the ESV).


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

This also makes me happy!


It's the pantry, obviously, all freshly cleaned out and organized!  See the canning jars on the top shelf grouped by size?  See how like items are gathered together?  See how there is room to stock up?  Be still my heart.

{Funny}

This next picture is from a couple weeks ago when we were visiting Lizzie, Justin, and Arane.  I guess this is what happens when a mathematician plays sidewalk chalk with his little girl:



{Real}

Dave's office/guest room~


There is so much to do in here, including the building of bookshelves.  We had sixty-five boxes of books!  They have all found homes now except for a few strays and what you see in these boxes.  Someday I'll show you a picture of the finished room . . .


Thanks for visiting!  Please go to Like Mother, Like Daughter for more {phfr}!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching Up

Lake Michigan--gorgeous! It really has been two months since I last made a blog post!  This summer has been full of traveling, gardening...

Popular Posts