Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Hidden Art of Homemaking~ Chapter 2

I did not mean to start this series and immediately drop it, but I always forget that the end of the schoolyear is super busy.  I just did not have the time to continue it until school was out and travels were over.  Maybe I'll do better now that it's summer?  Hope springs eternal.

In chapter 2 of The Hidden Art of Homemaking, Edith Schaeffer says that she believes that everyone has some area of hidden that could be developed if given some time and energy.  For me that is sewing.  I've always wanted to learn to sew, but first I lacked a sewing machine and now I lack time, but I plug away at it in any extra time I can eke out.  I'm not very accomplished, but I know more than I used to and I am growing in it, and that is Mrs. Schaeffer's point.

Here are some things I have made over the past several years~

My first attempt to sew clothing from a pattern.  Youtube was my friend.
 
One of my first projects.  Everyone starts with pillows, right?
 
A skirt for Hannah that does not require a pattern.

I made this for Arane for Christmas.
 
I made this quilt in 2009.  Here it is in the bedroom in our old house.  This is by far the biggest project I've attempted.  It was not hard and I'm pleased with how it turned out.  I used scraps mostly.
 
 I learned to make this tote bag early in my sewing endeavors, and I've made several since.  This one was intended to be a small diaper bag suitable for quick trips.

Another skirt for Hannah.  This is her favorite skirt style and I've made so many of them that I've gotten pretty fast!

 
Join Cindy at Ordo Amoris for the Hidden Art book club!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching Up

Lake Michigan--gorgeous! It really has been two months since I last made a blog post!  This summer has been full of traveling, gardening...

Popular Posts