Thursday, July 28, 2011

{Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real} ~ July 28, 2011

{Pretty}

Remember when I showed you the living room newly put together and said I needed to do something more for a centerpiece on the dining table? This is what I did:





I already had these three little vases (there is a fourth one, but it hasn't emerged from the box it was packed in yet). I bought the flowers at Jo-Ann Fabrics on clearance. I think they were 75 cents. I got the candlesticks in a shop in a nearby town that specializes in gift-y type things but had some antiques too. They were $6 for the pair. I know brass isn't "in" right now, but I like brass and thought they would look good with the yellow walls. I was right! The candles came from my mother-in-law. She gave me a big box of them when we were helping clear out their house before a move. I like the twistiness! I'd still like to get or make a table runner, but this is much better than the cakestand alone, don't you think?

{Happy}

I bought this today! Isn't it great? I've wanted something like this for a long time. Man of the House and I spotted it at Michael's for half off, so we got it. You can't really tell in the picture, but the background is chalkboard green. Now to find just the right place for it . . .



{Funny}

Know what this is? Take a guess; I'll wait. *waits*



Nope, it's the insert for a clerical collar. Man of the House calls it a plastic smile. LOL I suppose they were made of linen at one point, and I suppose you can still get them in linen, but the manufacturer includes two plastic ones with every clerical shirt they sell. I guess they tend to get lost so the company sends two, but Man of the House never loses anything so he has quite a pile of them in his sock drawer now.

{Real}

This is the kind of picture I get when I hurriedly try to snap a shot of Girl of the House before she ducks and runs for cover. I obviously failed to achieve my goal. :-(





Vist Like Mother, Like Daughter for more {Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real} fun!

6 comments:

  1. I love the table and I *adore* that sign! I've wanted one forever so now I'll have to check Michaels.

    Brass is always in, it's classic and that's why your table is so lovely. Plus the blue and white cake stand-just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I forgot to mention that the cakestand was a Mother's Day present. Isn't it pretty? Thanks for visiting my blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ran across your site through your comment on provincialhomemaker, and enjoyed browsing a bit. That's a great idea for a table centerpiece. I'm always trying to acheive height through a taller vase - it never occurred to me to just put the small vases on a stand!

    It's also fun looking at your reading challenge list. We are always open to more good books in this household, whether or not shelf space allows :). Oddly enough (and to my own surprise), I ended up loving "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" not so much for the brutal world depicted, but for the way it managed to depict warmth and human fellowship in the roughest of places. You so enjoy and savor each small comfort he finds, whether it's a moment in the heated office or the day's food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you said that very well. Ivan keeps his humanity even in the face of cruelty. I enjoyed the book much more than I thought I would too.

    And I'm glad you liked the centerpiece idea. I'm sure I picked it up somewhere over the years. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed when I saw the "plastic smile". My babies walk around with my husbands "plastic smiles" in their mouths, must be fun to chew on. I just wish they weren't so easy to loose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you knew what it was, didn't you, Aubri? lol

    ReplyDelete

Catching Up

Lake Michigan--gorgeous! It really has been two months since I last made a blog post!  This summer has been full of traveling, gardening...

Popular Posts