Sunday, July 10, 2011

2011 Reading Challenge~~Book #26


Besides being a pastor, Man of the House is also a classicist. That means that whenever one of our girls is learning about ancient history and literature at the high school level, he teaches it since he is the expert. It's very convenient to be married to my very own classicist, but there's one drawback: I never had the necessity to read that literature myself. Except for reading Homer's Odyssey in high school, that area of literature is unknown to me. Agamemnon by Aeschylus was my first attempt to remedy that situation. Man of the House tells me that that is not where he would have had me start, but he gamely read it aloud with me anyway, divvying up the parts between us. I now agree with his assessment. I probably have should started with something a wee bit more interesting, like Sophocles' Oedipus the King (his suggestion). I had expected a little more action and less obfuscating talking. Man of the House tells me it picks up somewhat in the second and third parts of the trilogy, so I will believe him and give them a try at some point.

Am I sorry I bothered to read it? No, not at all! This area of my education really does need some shoring up, and I'm glad I've begun doing that at long last. But if you feel like I do, take Man of the House's word for it and start with Oedipus the King instead. ;-)

By the way, we are halfway through the year and, with Agamemnon under my belt, I'm right on track for reaching my goal of 52 books in 52 weeks. I am also back on track after our move and am hoping to keep to my original plan of posting a book review each weekend. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching Up

Lake Michigan--gorgeous! It really has been two months since I last made a blog post!  This summer has been full of traveling, gardening...

Popular Posts