Wednesday, January 12, 2011

2011 Reading Challenge


My reading lagged a bit last year, so I've decided to challenge myself in 2011. My goal is to read a book a week~52 weeks, 52 books. I'm actually a week late getting started, so if I don't make up the time during 2011 I'll let myself lapse into 2012 a bit. I've already got a shelf set up with 15 or so books to tackle for starters. Some are very short (Good-bye, Mr. Chips) and some are much longer (The Pickwick Papers), so if I take more than a week to finish a long one, I can follow it up with a short one and still be on track. I will allow myself audio books as well. Looking at my pile so far, I see I need some more non-fiction and some books older than Dickens. I believe in C.S. Lewis' dictum about reading old books.

You can see what's on the docket in the sidebar, and every weekend I plan to post about that week's book. If I'm not able to keep up the pace, attempting to will result in my reading more books than I would have otherwise, so I don't really see how I can lose. Anyone care to join me?

6 comments:

  1. What a great goal!! I look forward to seeing all of the books you read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Monica! I'm looking forward to it too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm... can they be books I've already read? :) Library cards cost like $40 here, so that's out of the question. I've got quite a few books that I haven't read yet, but I don't think I have 52 of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure! Some of my picks will be re-reads, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I am curious which book you will be starting with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I put it at the top of the sidebar. I'm nearing the homestretch on my first book of the year!

    ReplyDelete

Flowers in Winter

If you're like me and Must.Have.Flowers, even in wintertime, let me give you a few ideas for bringing blooms into your house without br...

Popular Posts