Skip to main content

{Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real}~ July 27, 2014

Thanks for stopping by!  This {phfr} will mostly be of a masculine nature because I am heavily dependent on my husband's pictures this week.  So think of this as {phfr} through the eyes of a man.


{Pretty}

What could be prettier than a brand-new chain saw?  The old one was dead and unfixable, alas, and with acres and acres of trees on the property, it's a necessary tool.  I guess Dave felt the same thrill buying this chainsaw as I did buying a new sewing machine. :)



{Happy}

Here's some of what he's done with said chainsaw.  There will be no shortage of firewood this winter, which makes us all happy.  Our last house didn't have a fireplace, and boy, did we miss it!  I am looking forward to lots and lots of fires come cold weather.  There are many more trees to come down, so the fun of using his new toy . . . er, I mean . . . tool is not over.



{Real}

I found this bear in a bag in a cupboard when I was organizing the sewing room.  There was some debate between Dave and his brother as to whose bear this is and what his name is.  An appeal to a higher authority (their mother) settled the matter: He belongs to Dave's brother and his name is Pooh, appropriately enough.  Pooh has obviously been well-loved and has obtained the much coveted status of Real.  (If you don't understand the reference, then I refer you to The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams.)

Pooh objected vehemently to going back in the cupboard, so now he is happily ensconced on a nearly-two-centuries-old stool by the fireplace whence he watches the comings and goings of our little household.  He tells me he heartily approves of the change of scenery. :)



Visit Like Mother, Like Daughter for more {phfr}!

Comments

Popular Posts

Auntie Leila's Linky Party

Auntie Leila of Like Mother, Like Daughter (one of my favorite blogs!) is having a linky party about kitchen sinks! I thought I'd join in and show you mine.

First is a picture of my kitchen sink area in its entirety:



It's a small room~~just 13' x 8'~~but I've decided I don't really mind because everything is only a step or two away. Leila has been talking about making the kitchen work for you instead of you working against it, and that's really quite easy to accomplish when the space is so small. In fact, reading her post about her kitchen made me laugh because our kitchen set-up is almost identical!

The windows up close:





I like to put these "gingerbread" Christmas decorations in the kitchen. Girl of the House made the paperbag gingerbread boy when she was four. Isn't he cute? The little red gingham bag was made by the director of the preschool where I used to teach and is over 20 years old. The felt ornaments were made by my grandmother, t…

The Growlery

We've just about wrapped up another room and I wanted to show you pictures. This room is off the kitchen and is intended to be a TV room, I'm sure, but since we don't have a TV, we repurposed it. We call it the growlery (begin at about 6:30 for the reference). In days of yore, the growlery was a room where the men retired after dinner to sip brandy, smoke cigars, and talk politics. We were stumped as to what to call this room, but Dave hit upon "the growlery" and it has stuck. We all knew right away that that was the perfect name! It inspired me to take a more masculine tack in paint, furniture, and decor. See what you think!

The view as you enter from the kitchen:



We bought the chairs brand new. We hardly ever buy new furniture, but we'd used up most of what we already had in other rooms, so we splurged. I'd love to move the exercise bike if we can find a more propitious place for it.

The view from the door that leads to the back patio:



And the view…

A "Reasonably Clean" Welcome

Like Mother, Like Daughter is having a linky party similar to their "Pretty over the Kitchen Sink" from last December. This time we are focusing on entryways. Leila of LMLD has written a series of helpful posts on the Reasonably Clean House, which you can find in the LMLD's sidebar; hence the "Reasonably Clean" Welcome!

As I may have mentioned once or twice *wink*, we moved in mid-June, and I've been swept up in a flurry of nesting ever since. I don't mind because I enjoy nesting, but the focus of said nesting has not been on any of the three entryways this house is blessed with. In fact, one of them is still downright dismal as the room it opens on awaits paint, furniture, and general unpacking. Unfortunately, that seems to be the one lots of people use. But I'm not showing you that one . . . yet. I put my energies into the front entry, the one I *wish* people would use more often and the one that had the least to do to pretty it up a bit. F…