Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Hidden Art of Homemaking~ Chapter 4

I am inching ever so slowly through this book, but at least I am making progress, however sporadic.  Cindy at Ordo Amoris has wrapped up the book club, but I will continue to crawl along as I can.
This chapter is a hard one for me.  I don't know how to draw, sculpt, or paint (unless you count walls).  I am, however, fascinated with drawing.  It's an amazing thing to see an artist take such basic things as a blank piece of paper and a pencil, pen, or piece of charcoal and bring something beautiful and insightful out of the blankness. 

But, alas, I have no ability in this area, and so I compensate.  Mrs. Schaeffer wrote about creating cards to give a more human touch, and though I don't draw them, I do use scrapbooking supplies and rubber stamps for my card-making.  Not quite as good, I know, but still more personal than a store-bought card . . . not that I don't use those plenty of times because I do.  Sometimes I just don't have the time to make a card.

One related area that I hope to find time for someday is calligraphy.  I adore calligraphy and especially Medieval illuminating.  Maybe when my homeschooling days are over I can take it up. 

I've often told my husband that if I had any drawing ability, I would put it to use illustrating.  I think it takes real insight and intelligence to be an illustrator and to bring to life an author's characters, settings, and sensibilities.  I have been known to buy books just for the illustrations.  Here are some samples of favorite illustrators~

E.H. Shepard is best known as the illustrator of the Winnie-the-Pooh stories, but his illustrations for The Wind in the Willows are equally delightful.  I was excited to find this book for $1 at a used book sale. 

blank.gif



A classic illustration of Pooh-bear and Christopher Robin.  These rich, detailed, and warm illustrations are far superior to the flat, one-dimensional Disney version of Pooh and friends.  I always insist on the original illustrations for the Pooh stories.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
My attachment to Eloise Wilkin has a sentimental element to it, I know, but in this one area of my life I unabashedly allow it.  Can you blame me?  Look at her detailed interiors!





Drink in her sweet, cherubic children!



Bask in all her vintage-y goodness and innocence!

Eloise Wilkin
So really, can you blame me?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
I first came across Shirley Hughes when Lizzie was a toddler.  She fondly captures all the wonder and adventure of the preschool years in her illustrations of Alfie and his sister Annie Rose.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching Up

Lake Michigan--gorgeous! It really has been two months since I last made a blog post!  This summer has been full of traveling, gardening...

Popular Posts