Wednesday, November 16, 2011

From My Commonplace Book

I like to do these little posts from time to time. They make me look through the quotes preserved in my commonplace book and remind me of ideas I want to ponder. I hope you find them food for thought as well. I try not to repeat, but I suspect I have and/or will. That's okay. All these things are worth a second look. :-)

"The chief aim of the Christian order is to give room for all good things to run wild." ~ G.K. Chesterton

"The real way of mending a man's taste is not to denigrate his favourites but to teach him how to enjoy something better." ~ C.S. Lewis

"Homeschooling forces you to see your home as a place where more than just consumption takes place. It leads you back to the traditional view of the home as a place where something was produced. It keeps you from seeing home as just a place where you sleep and eat before you go out into the rest of the world to do the really important things. It keeps you from feeling dependent on experts to do the serious teaching of your children." ~ Rod Dreher

"The person who has stopped being thankful has fallen asleep in life." ~ Robert Louis Stevenson

"A general state education is a mere contrivance for moulding people to be exactly like one another: and as the mould in which it casts them is that which pleases the predominant power in the government, whether this be a monarch, a priesthood, an aristocracy, or the majority of the existing generation; in proportion as it is efficient and successful, it establishes a despotism over the mind, leading by natural tendency to one over the body." ~ John Stuart Mill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching Up

Lake Michigan--gorgeous! It really has been two months since I last made a blog post!  This summer has been full of traveling, gardening...

Popular Posts