Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Reformation Day!

I know, I know, I'm late posting book reviews, but I couldn't let this day pass without wishing you all a happy Reformation Day. I'd be a pretty poor Lutheran if I didn't! October 31, 1517, was a watershed day in the history of Christianity, and if you're a Protestant, you have much to celebrate this day. If you think of October 31 as only Halloween, read this Wikipedia article, which isn't too long, to get a basic overview of why and how the Reformation began. In honor of the day and its founder, Martin Luther, here is a rousing rendition of Luther's best-known hymn, "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God," which became the "Battle Hymn of the Reformation."**



Now, I'm off to watch the Luther movie and hand out candy to the kiddies. :-)

**I'm told that the Catholic church has included this hymn in its most recent revision of their hymnal. Whatever side of the Reformation you come down on, this is a great hymn for all Christians to sing. There was a Roman Catholic at our Reformation Sunday vespers service last night, and he sang it with great gusto!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching Up

Lake Michigan--gorgeous! It really has been two months since I last made a blog post!  This summer has been full of traveling, gardening...

Popular Posts