Wednesday, August 31, 2011

From My Commonplace Book


"First of all educate your son's soul, and he will acquire possessions later. If his soul is bad he will not receive the slightest benefit from money. And vice versa, if he has been given the proper upbringing, then poverty will not harm him in the least." ~ St. John Chrysostom

"The chief aim of the Christian order is to give room for all good things to run wild." ~ G.K. Chesterton

"Earlier in this century someone claimed that we work at our play and play at our work. Today the confusion has deepened: we worship our work, work at our play, and play at our worship." ~ Leland Ryken

"To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common ~ this is my symphony." ~ William Henry Channing

"The smell of the food had been exciting from the beginning. It was rich and good and full of promise. It made hunger merry. It made craving a joy. The rare memory of it would come into lean weeks for long after." ~ Neil Gunn, Morning Tide

2 comments:

  1. These quotes are wonderful. I especially like the Channing quote, and unfortunately, how true is the Ryken quote. Thanks for the great start to my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Chrysostom quote is one that I often have at my desk to remind me of what is important.

    I love the Channing quote. It's definitely one for over my sink so I can ponder it as I do dishes. :)

    Thank you for sharing.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete

Catching Up

Lake Michigan--gorgeous! It really has been two months since I last made a blog post!  This summer has been full of traveling, gardening...

Popular Posts