Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Family Culture II

Let's continue with quotations from books and movies that my family often uses in conversation. The list continues to grow, although at a slower pace, as we think of more so that we are now on page 7! You might think that we never say anything to each other that is not a reference to something else, but we do, we do.

Try to guess which book or movie these are from:

I recall it with perfect clarity.

This here's science. (pronounced "scance")

A good driver doesn't need brakes.

Taters, precious, what’s taters?

There are so many responsibilities on a person's mind when she's keeping house.

Les incompetents

When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey, and when I drink water, I drink water.

Keep your knees opened and closed.

We'll all be ruined!

It's a particular morning thing. It has to be done in the morning.

Clang! Look it up!

I’m going inside. All this fresh air’s getting in my lungs.

What a lot of correspondence you have, my dear.

We could have been killed, or worse~expelled.

I want you to write a theme.

He has no idea of Latin verbs.

After all, passing tests is what school is all about.

A clunkin' great bill

My Africa project employs my whole time.

Oh, little Arthur! He was a charming baby.

What do you want a book for when we've got this perfectly nice telly!

Please, sir, may I have some more?

As you wish.


It occurs to me that I ought to give an answer key for my first post on this topic. Here 'tis:

The proprieties must be observed at all times. (The Quiet Man)

There’s more to him than meets the eye. (The Lord of the Rings)

Is this a kissing book? (The Princess Bride)

Constant viligance! (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)

I need two kinds of ice cream. I'm recuperating. (Meet Me in St. Louis)

What does MRCVS mean to you? (All Creatures Great and Small)

Don’t want anymore corpses. Get a reputation. (Bleak House)

Cyril never has any money. (To Say Nothing of the Dog)

No lickin', no larnin'. (The Teacher's Funeral)

Great doctrinal import (Pride and Prejudice)

Things are boiling up nicely. (Bleak House)

Things are not very good around here. (A Baby Sister for Frances)

They’ll be safe with me; I’ve got twelve guns in my room. (Meet Me in St. Louis)

I want some PTA! (One of the Ramona books. I can't remember which one.)

It's a pome. I'm quotin'! (The Teacher's Funeral)

You shall not pass! (The Lord of the Rings, of course.)

Difficulty distinguishing sounds (To Say Nothing of the Dog)

If I had ever learnt, I would be a true proficient. (Pride and Prejudice)

Don’t give any of your startling speeches. (Anne of Green Gables)

The spirits! (To Say Nothing of the Dog)


How did you do? :-)

1 comment:

Catching Up

Lake Michigan--gorgeous! It really has been two months since I last made a blog post!  This summer has been full of traveling, gardening...

Popular Posts