Thursday, January 4, 2018

The Eleventh Day of Christmas

Elizabeth Shippen Green

More from my 2017 reading list~~

Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery--Two more childhood favorites and always so much fun!  When I was growing up, we had a set of the first three in the series and I thought that's all there were.  I devoured them over and over again until they fell apart.  Imagine my joy when I discovered as a young bride that there were five more!  This series taught me so much about beauty, especially finding it in the ordinary, and I will be forever grateful.  I will probably re-read one or two more this year.

The Vanishing American Adult: Our Coming of Age Crisis and How to Re-build a Culture of Self-reliance by Ben Sasse--Dave and I listened to this book on a trip last spring.  Overall I liked the book a lot and thought Sasse, who is a US senator from Nebraska, diagnosed the much talked-about problems with millennials pretty well.  He also offered a lot of solutions, many which I liked and others which I thought were pretty unrealistic, at least for many families.  It was great food for conservation on our road trip. 

All Creatures Great and Small and All Things Wise and Wonderful by James Herriot--Also re-reads and so very enjoyable.  I listened to these, narrated by Christopher Timothy, who played James Herriot in the equally enjoyable TV series.  Such a wonderful glimpse into another time, place, and way of life.

Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin--I picked this up for a dollar at a library sale, thinking anything with that title was bound to something I'd like.  Weeellll, it was just okay.  The author goes through month by month telling her readers how she made changes to her home life that she thought would increase her happiness.  It was so specific, though, that I didn't find it had much applicability to my life.  I confess I got bored and skimmed the last half.

Civilization: The West and the Rest by Niall Ferguson--I read this near the beginning of the year and I don't remember much about it.  Take that for what you will . . .

Under the Greenwood Tree by Thomas Hardy--This is early Hardy and his plot and characters are not as well developed as his later novels.  I adore Hardy, despite his depressing endings.  He understands human nature and writes astonishingly beautiful prose, but don't start with this one.  Start with Far from the Madding Crowd, which actually has a semi-happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching Up

Lake Michigan--gorgeous! It really has been two months since I last made a blog post!  This summer has been full of traveling, gardening...

Popular Posts