Saturday, December 16, 2017

Flowers in Winter

If you're like me and Must.Have.Flowers, even in wintertime, let me give you a few ideas for bringing blooms into your house without breaking the bank.  Besides buying bouquets at the grocery store, which is what I do when all else fails, there are other inexpensive ways to do this.




Did you know shamrocks bloom?  I didn't until I saw my daughter's.  Every March, you can find shamrocks for just a few dollars at the grocery store (or better yet, be blessed with a start from someone dividing an overgrown plant, as I was from my daughter).  They are hearty and withstand a fair bit of neglect; in fact, they hate over-watering more than under-watering, and burst into bloom, randomly but often, with delicate white flowers.


--------------------------


Amaryllis, not yet fully opened, on left; poinsettia on right


Amaryllis bulbs are cheap in the run-up to Christmas.  They are easy to plant and care for and will reward you with big, gorgeous blooms that last for a couple weeks.  The bulb will even re-bloom if you follow the instructions on the package.  I try to time mine to bloom on Christmas Day.

Of course, poinsettias are a staple of Christmas decor, and now they come in a variety of colors.  My favorite is the traditional red, and I always buy at least one every December.  This year, I saw tiny ones available for just over $2, though it is possible to spend much more for bigger plants.  With proper watering, they last a long time, too.  I have a friend who once had a poinsettia plant that grew to the size of a small tree!

--------------------------


Photo: Southern Living

Paperwhites are another winter flower easy to grow from bulbs.  Pick up a package when you get your amaryllis; they are often sold together in the same display.  These sweet white flowers are perfect for January.  Just plant them around Christmas time and you'll have flowers in the dead of winter.

--------------------------



Photo:  Optimara African Violets

African violets are fussier than any of the flowers I've mentioned, but when they bloom they add a spot of bright cheeriness to your home.  Once they bloom, the tend to keep on, but I've only once managed to get them to re-bloom.  That may be due to my lack of care and skill than anything else, though.  Be sure to feed them African violet food to keep them healthy and encourage re-blooming.  Little pots of African violets are available from grocery stores usually in the late winter or early spring.



When nothing else is blooming in the house, I buy a bouquet from the grocery store to fill in flowerless gaps.  And there's always the hope of a bouquet on Valentine's Day. :)  But with mums, zinnia, and lavender blooming into November and crocuses and snowdrops beginning in February, there are only three months out of the year in which it is a bit challenging to have flowers.  The luxury of flowers doesn't have to cost a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Catching Up

Lake Michigan--gorgeous! It really has been two months since I last made a blog post!  This summer has been full of traveling, gardening...

Popular Posts