Sunday, August 8, 2010

Quilting Update

Remember when I said I was going to make a quilt this summer, even though I have never done any such thing before? I figure if Anna and Leila can do it, I can too! So I've neglected this little blog in favor of cutting over 700 fabric squares and piecing them together. Guess what! The top is finished! I took Anna's advice and it really wasn't too hard. I'm a little nervous about the actually quilting and binding, but I can't quit now!

Because I wanted to use what I already had as much as possible, I used fabric leftover from other projects, and I even used a couple of Man of the House's old shirts, but I didn't have nearly enough, so I had to buy some. I did use up quite a few scraps, though. And I didn't worry too much about whether the fabrics matched, and I also didn't worry too much about the order I sewed them together either, so it turned out to be quite a colorful hodge podge.

Here's the top in all its glory:








So what do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I love it -- well done!!! And don't you feel wonderful making good use of all of your scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's CUTE! Wanna make me one next? =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I made my first quilt last year from recycled denim and cotton shirts, and I'm just about to start my second. I hope to write a post about it this week. Will you machine quilt it? Tie it? Hand quilt it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! Yes, I am happy to be using my scraps. :-)

    Since speed is my goal, I'm going to machine quilt it. I don't think I'd have the patience to hand quilt it anyway, and I need to have it finished quickly because I really need to be thinking about school *soon*.

    Elizabeth, I might entertain the offer of a bribe. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Catching Up

Lake Michigan--gorgeous! It really has been two months since I last made a blog post!  This summer has been full of traveling, gardening...

Popular Posts